C&K Careers, along with Careers Europe, successfully obtained LSIS Equality and Diversity funding to work with the West Yorkshire Roma community.
Since EU enlargement in 2004 and 2007, a number of local Roma communities formed in West Yorkshire:
- In Bradford, 800 Roma used the National Careers Service during 2011-12.
- Specific issues related to the Roma group were identified as limiting progression.
- A service tailored to the specific needs of Roma clients was either not provided or was very limited, often because advisers lacked awareness and/or practical knowledge.
The Enabling Roma Project aimed to:
- Identify the main challenges that Roma clients have to overcome as job seekers.
- Characterise the Roma specific needs and identify the training needs of professionals providing careers advice.
- Develop resources to help advisers at the National Careers Service better understand Roma issues.
- Increase the number of Roma customers accessing the National Careers Service.
- Disseminate the project resources to over 200 advisers.
- Contribute to the Equality Duty’s aim to advance equality of opportunity for specific target groups.
- Better equipped National Careers Service advisers in the Yorkshire and the Humber region, with a wider knowledge of specific Roma needs and issues.
- Supported advisers to help and encourage the increasing number of job seekers from the Roma target group to integrate into work, cultural and societal contexts.
- Encouraged Roma clients to access the National Careers Service for guidance, practical information and finding employment.
- Met the 'Equality, Duty and LSIS’ project themes by embedding Equality and Diversity activities for Roma clients with the National Careers Service.
- Produced a project report on the findings, an adviser guide and two short films, one in Slovak and one in Czech, both with English subtitles
- Promoted the project at three national events and a number of local meetings.
C&K Careers, on behalf of the National Careers Service, will:
- Continue to disseminate the findings throughout 2013 and into 2014.
- Measure the impact the Enabling Roma project has had on the West Yorkshire Roma community.
For further information:
Contact: Julie, Information Services Manager
Call: 01484 225500