C&K Careers supported a local school to develop links with employers bringing the world of work closer to the classroom
A local 11 to 16 secondary school sought our help to raise the aspirations of students:
- The school wanted to develop links with employers and the world of work.
- There was a need for positive role models, who would come into school to talk about their experience after leaving school.
To support the school in identifying employers and arranging visits by small numbers of students to the workplace:
- Year 7 students visited a local college and the University of Huddersfield to find out more about opportunities in further and higher education.
- Arranged for role models (some of whom used to attend the school) to talk to students about their experiences of work.
- Organised a mentoring scheme involving adults from the local community and workplaces to support students in transition post 16.
The school now has:
- Strong links with a bank of employers.
- A number of trained mentors available to support young people.
The school plans to:
- Build on these established links.
- Embed the links with employers and the support from mentors into the curriculum.